Monday, October 20, 2014

Narrow Oriental Coptic Stitch Book - Part 2

Part 1 - Hard Book Covers - Here
Part 2 - Pages & Sewing
After creating the book covers, I started work on the spine. I like my book spines to have some color, so I went with gold. I cut these page dividers just a bit larger than the actual page size. I used a bone folder to fold them cleanly in half (these dividers are about 8x2 inches each). Then I used a corner punch for the edges.


I usually create book page templates so I can reuse the page size in the future. I also use the template to mark where the hole placements should be. I lay this template over every signature (8 signatures in this case) and poke holes using my awl.



Then I sew the signatures together.
For the covers, I sewed them to the pages using the Japanese bookbinding method. When sewing pages together, I used the coptic stitch method. Afterwards, I combine the excess thread into braids and add beads to the ends for design purposes.
Here is the final product. This book has 128 tan and white blank pages combined (including front and back).
Here is the inside of the book. I think the book cloth on the inside is a nice touch!

No comments: