Monday, October 13, 2014

Soft Doll Needle Wallets

Materials used:
- Fabric (quilt fabric, denim, home decor, to name a few)
- Felt
- Embroidery Floss
- Buttons

I created these cute little guys some time ago. It was my first time experimenting with a wallet type format, so there was a lot of trial and error. I wanted to create a small wallet where I could store needles, pins, a small pair of scissors, and even a little loop of thread.

The final size of these wallets came to be 3.5x4 inches (7 inches wide when opened). I created a 4x7 inch rectangular pattern (I like to use Bristol paper for my patterns. I find thin paper difficult to use, especially when they get flimsy when I try to trace with them). These are primarily soft covered wallets.



Each doll wallet has four felt pages for attaching pins and needles. I also added pockets to store other smaller materials and tools. The pockets were tricky to sew on the machine, especially since I had to align the bottom of the wallet with the top of the pocket.

I hand sewed each face, which was a lot of fun. I used a book called Stitch Sampler by Lucinda Ganderton (book has been added to the Book Resource tab on this blog) to experiment with different hand stitches. I think the faces came out pretty cute!

I now have a box full of wallets that I made, but I'm not quite sure what to do with them. They were originally made for a craft show, but I was unable to attend the event. I feel it odd to add them to my shop since I primarily sell handmade books.

If anyone would like one, I'd be willing to trade or sell them. Maybe I can even do a giveaway!

On that note, happy crafting!

No comments: