Friday, May 23, 2014

Sketchbook - SHINee Color Explosion

I mentioned in a previous post (click here) that a Korean boy band named SHINee inspired me to draw again after a personal crisis. This is another SHINee member I decided to draw. His name is Kim Kibum-although, he goes by the name Key. I used this photo as a reference for the base sketch. It's been awhile since I've drawn faces, so I was worried about the end result. It took me a few hours to get a rough sketch down before I started coloring.











I struggled with the collar and shoulder design. I realized the pattern clashed with his hair. I had to figure out a way to erase the pattern-especially since the layer of color pencil was heavy-without destroying the integrity of the paper. I gently erased as much of the pattern as I could (Color pencil applied on lightly is easy to erase. Applied heavily, it's a different story). The color had dulled down enough that I applied a new layer of color pencil. I do like the end result, especially since some of the previous pattern shows through. It gives the collar and shoulder more dimension.     

SHINee's Kim Kibum. 2012. Color pencil.

It took me more than a month to finish this while juggling between work and other projects. It's even more difficult to finish full color pieces since I work full time now. That breaks me heart a little, but I try to figure out ways around the time crunch.

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments: