Friday, April 18, 2014

Sketchbook - Shipwrecked Nautilus

 
My favorite subject to draw and photograph are boats, barges in particular. I went on a boat drawing binge last year. I drew this in pen and added pencil to get ideas for shading. Because of my full time job, I don't draw as much as I'd like to, so most of this was done while traveling to work (I take a boat to get to the city, the perfect place for boat sightings).

I've experimented with different color pencil brands and my favorite by far is Rembrandt poly-color pencils. Surprisingly, they aren't in supply at many art stores, and I've only been able to find them in one store in the city. They're great for sharp clean edges and detail. I also like to use Derwent soft color pencils for blending. I decided to use the ball point pen to be my darkest shade; it helped in terms of color separation. 

Viola, the Nautilus drawing was completed. This feels more like a rough drawing than a final, but I do enjoy the play on color. 

NOTE: Due to sickness, I haven't been able to work on Pipa and Tak, so I'll postpone posts about them until the beginning of May. I'll also be going on vacation starting this Sunday, so that's another reason for the delay. Happy Friday everyone.
 

No comments: