Friday, July 16, 2010

The House Chopped in Half

My mother and I were in a car, driving around the island on a quest in the nature of errands. She pulls the car over on Harbor Road. I stare at her questioningly. She tells me to get out of the car and walk a few houses down. After a few moments of silent confusion, I abide to her request. She says I'll know what I'm looking for once I see it. So here I was, walking on a sunny morning. I'm so preoccupied by the loveliness of the day, that I almost miss what I was supposed to be looking at. Lets not even talk about the shock I went through XD.

Behind an aging fence is an abandoned house. Ok, not so out of the blue, right? Did I forget to mention only HALF of the house was there, as if chopped cleanly? I can see the placement of all the rooms; brown with mold and dirt as darkened shadows crept the walls with faded memories . It doesn't even look like the sun's rays touch the decrepit thing, lifeless of color accept for the grass that grows around it.

I walk back to the car in disbelief and ask her about the house chopped in half. Her response is a story mimicking fairy tales.

Once upon a time, there were two sons who lived in this house and adored their father. On one unfortunate day, the father passed away, leaving the sons his priced possession: his house. A few years pass and the sons lived peacefully, until tension and arguments arose. One son wanted to stay in the house, while the other son wanted to tear it down.

It came to a point where they became so obsessed with the arguments, that an agreement was reached. The house was chopped in half; one halve for each son. They lived in their half of the house for a period of time. One day, one of the son's tore his part of the house down and moved away.

I asked my mom what happened to the sons. She doesn't know. No one purchased the house after it was left, so it grew old and lonely on its own. A few weeks passed and I couldn't stop thinking about that house. I attempted to google the story, but I could find no trace that such a happening actually existed. A few months passed. I had to walk on Harbor Road to reach a bus stop to get to a gym I signed up for at the time. It was then I remembered about the house chopped in half. I was pretty excited to see it again.

However, when I was walking, the house was gone. In its place was the same old fence with a new sign saying 'Property for Sale.' All that is left is large patches of overgrowth and a tree.
The only photo I have of the house is in my head. Every time I pass it, I wonder about what happened to those sons.

-Piki
(Oh, did I mention this is ALL a true story?)

3 comments:

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

wow. i can only imagine how neat that would be to see.

great post. :)

LEFTZ said...

Creepy! That would make an awesome movie :D

Unknown said...

Yeah, it was pretty creepy to see it at first. But I was more excited than scared XD My mom suggested I go to the Archive office here to see if they would have a picture of the place before it got torn down!

-Piki