Wednesday, May 14, 2014

La Sardina 35mm Camera

Camera Overview + Recommendation
A few years ago, I attended a comic book convention in NYC. One of the vendors there was a film camera shop (this was my first introduction into Lomography). It's been years since I thought about film! It brought back so many memories-from buying cheap Kodak cameras to developing film at the drug store, wondering why I would always get double prints of every photo. Talk about a throw back!

La Sardina cameras have plastic bodies, each showcasing a unique design. I love the vintage feel of this camera. The image is a major bonus (my love for boats has arisen once again). There are no interchangeable lenses, no flash (you would have to buy a separate attachment), nor does the camera offer a zoom option. 

However, rotating the black rim around the lens allows for either macro or regular shots. You can also leave the bulb open and take long exposures (making it possible to take night time photos).  

Here's an interior view. This camera takes 35mm film-you don't have to buy the film exclusively made by Lomography to use it-and produces wide shot photos. Make sure to keep an eye out for their limited edition films (such as the Sunset and LomoChrome Purple film). Those films produce exciting results!

Some Lomography films come out grainy (these are the films I prefer), while others offer clear images with vivid color. If you're looking for crisp photos, I would suggest to have some kind of tripod on hand. Slight vibration and wind gusts are enemies of this camera.

I usually get prints with a white border on matte paper. Although, I've come to realize I like photos at full bleed rather than having borders. The image breathes better, if that makes any sense; it doesn't feel so contained within a set space.

I used the limited edition Sunset film for this sunrise photo. I love the grain it produced, as well as the encroaching shadows skulking across the waters.

This camera is great for a novice or professional. Be weary however: film photography is an expensive hobby. If your not willing to shell out money to get rolls of film developed, then this camera may not be the best option for you. They usually run from $60-$100, but they do offer Groupon deals for them from time to time. 

Do you have any quirky film cameras from Lomography? What's your favorite film camera to use?





No comments: