Friday, May 9, 2014

Artist Reawakening - Onew I

I had dropped illustration for awhile since I struggled with personal and financial issues when the recession hit a few years ago. It really crushed my creative spirit. One day, I randomly stumbled onto a music video from a Korean boy group called SHINee. For some reason, listening to their songs lifted my spirits.

After some time (2012), and feeling in a better mood, I decided to work on a color drawing to see if my hands remembered how to utilize art utensils and materials.

- This is the reference image I used. Onew is the leader of SHINee and my favorite Korean singer. 


I drew a rough version of Onew's face and started to let ideas flow on the page. Then I broke out the color! This was my first time utilizing Rembrandt polycolor pencils.
 



Sunset Onew. 2012. Rembrandt Polycolor Pencil, tan cardstock.
















































I felt so relieved once I completed this. It felt really good to know I still had the heart to illustrate ideas.

Then again, when your passionate about something, that passion never really leaves you, does it?



This piece holds a special place in my heart. I didn't think listening to music would motivate me to dive back into drawing again. It triggered an artistic reawakening in me, something I truly needed.   

No comments: