Monday, March 17, 2014

Book Series # 2 - Inspirational Quotes & Typography Books

Book Recommendations

Think Happy, Be Happy (art, inspiration, joy) by Workman Publishing - I happened upon this thoughtful book at a Japanese bookstore near my place of work and thought a little positivity on my lunch break wouldn't hurt. Who doesn't want a spot of happiness to brighten their day?

This book is filled with quotes from Einstein, Scott Fitzgerald, and many more poets, writers, artists, and scientists. Quotes are tucked between pages brimming with fun facts, recipes, and even music playlist suggestions to put you in a chipper mood. 
    

This is one of my favorite quotes. Its always important to make time for the passions you enjoy!

 On this page, color provokes an image from the illustrated message (in this case, green for money), and that kind of play between type and the page itself is simple but meaningful. The type has a gestural quality, as if the letters themselves have limbs and solid spines.


This reminds me of the illustrations done for the WildWood Series by Colin Meloy (the book review and illustrations for WildWood can be found here).


The integration of typography was why I picked up this book in the first place. I'm very attracted to visuals, and the illustrators and designers apart of this project gave the book a big heart in a small body. It makes for a great gift for a friend. Its also a nice addition to anyone's art book collection. 


Hand Job (a catalog of type) by Michael Perry - I won this book during a raffle in my college typography class a couple of years ago.

Aside from the cover catching my attention fairly quickly, I was curious about the contents within. At the time, typography was something I didn't give much importance to; I thought of drawing and writing as separate entities (a late thought for a late bloomer), and I wasn't completely exposed to typography as a kind of art form. Odd, isn't it? Especially since I grew up feverishly drawing.

So you can say this had been my introduction in bridging the gap between the two. 

Illustrated type is an image within an image. Even the blank spaces on the page have something to say.


This page caught my attention because of how claustrophobic it feels. I think this plays on the phrase 'no rules' sprinkled throughout the page. Rules give order and without them, everything falls into itself, becoming so compacted and messy that your brain fails to distinguish the original forms that make up the whole. 

Yet, there is an ordered mess to this page, and that helps the text to remain readable. Text that cannot be read becomes an imitation of its formal self. There is a loss of identity. 


Illustrated typography is fascinating; it reminds me of an interpretive dance. I love looking at it, but I don't quite know what to make of it sometimes.

My run in with a few typographers have been a bit frightening, because they seem fiercely loyal to the art of lettering as Star Wars fans are loyal to the SW franchise (that isn't all typographers, I know). However, I do appreciate their intense passion for it. As for me, I'll continue to broaden my knowledge in this subject and experiment with my own form of type. 

What are your thoughts on typography? Are there any books on type you think that should be added to this list?








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, great insight :)